Observe, classify, compare, use numbers, predict, measure, sequence, collect evidence, experiment, and control/test situations. Across grade and ability levels, GreenMount students learn fundamental science skills through an inquiry-based program.
The topics and skills correlate to National Science Education Standards from the National Research Council.
The following topics are covered in grades K–3:
- Life Sciences – classifying living and non-living things, the life cycle of plants, ecosystems, animal characteristics, food chains, body systems, and the human body
- Earth Sciences – rocks and minerals, landforms, fossils, water cycle, weather and climate, and the solar system
- Physical Sciences – electricity, properties and states of matter, light, magnets and magnetism, simple machines, and sound
The following topics are covered in grades 4–8:
- Life Sciences – structure and function in living systems, reproduction and heredity, regulation and behavior, populations and ecosystems, diversity and adaptations of organisms
- Earth Sciences – the structure of the Earth’s system, Earth’s history, and Earth in the solar system
- Physical Sciences – properties and changes of properties of matter, motions and forces, transfer of energy
By grade 8, students will have experience in biology, zoology, botany, anatomy, oceanography, genetics, chemistry, physics, astronomy, ecology, geology, meteorology, archaeology, and petrology.